The Hoju Saram

Friday, September 29, 2006

Forwarding lotus notes documents through outlook.

This database is available here

A couple of months ago, a couple of the businesses I provide IT services to converted from Lotus Notes/Domino to Outlook/Exchange. (I will leave it for another long post to explain the pros and cons of this). As part of this migration they needed a way of keeping some of their existing mail-driven domino apps running (until they could be re-written) even though they no longer had domino mailboxes for the users. I therefore had to come up with a way of sending notes documents through outlook. Most of these systems were mail-in databases, so I just needed a way of allowing users to reply to and/or forward these messages via outlook.

Basically the solution to this is:

a) Create design elements in the notes database to allow for any document to be copied in full to the windows clipboard.
b) Create an agent that when run does the following:

- Detach all of the current documents’ attachments to a temp directory
- Copy the current document to the clipboard, without attachments
- create a new outlook message via OLE
- Fill-in the subject and to fields in the outlook message
- Navigate to the body of the outlook message and paste the clipboard data.
- re-attach the attachments to the outlook message from the temp directory.

It would be nice to be able to automatically send the message from outlook, but outlook security stops you from being able to do this. So the users has to press the button themselves. This is sort of useful in case the receipients notes common name does match their new name in the Exchange GAL.

There is a link to a database containing this code at the top of this post. To get this to work in your own notes databases you need to add the “win32 api” script library, the “$ForwardSep” Subform, the “(Outlookforward)” form and both the agents to your database. You then need to copy the 2 action buttons from the memo form.

I have only tested this on outlook 2003, so it may need some tweaking for other versions.

5 Comments:

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:39 am, May 06, 2009  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:19 am, November 29, 2014  

  • What a visionary article, thank you for sharing your wisdom, I've got some of my own to share in case you're interested, here's a place I recently found to purchasecheap rs 3 gold, you should give it a shot

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:49 pm, July 20, 2018  

  • I have been playing relentlessly, and once I'm not playing, I have been watching and analyzing the best "Fortnite" streamers - cheapest fortnite weapons, like Ninja.

    Still, after tons of hours of playing and watching "Fortnite," I felt like I wasn't actually improving from the match. I had been dying early and frequently. And while I may have been getting the hang of the numerous controls, building and shooting -- the two most crucial roles in "Fortnite" for defense and offense, respectively -- were not intuitive to me. I was getting easily overwhelmed from firefights. And this was bothersome to me, because I play a good deal of video games.

    I'm nowhere near the level of pro streamers like Ninja, fortnite buy items but I am consistently finishing in the top 10 to 25 players, and generally with at least one or two kills beneath my belt.

    By Blogger Selfless, at 6:11 pm, January 10, 2019  

  • This is a nice tool but I would like to suggest KDETools OST to PST Converter which is very effective software to convert OST to PST. This software to complete conversion of OST file to change another format like PST, MBOX, EML, EMLX, HTML, MSG, vCard, and vCal. This software to convert OST file and import into office 365 and live exchange server. It supports all the version of MS Outlook and MS window. But you have choose the best software.

    Read for more information Visit: https://download.cnet.com/Kdetools-OST-to-PST-Converter/3000-2369_4-77567879.html

    By Blogger KDETools, at 10:59 pm, May 20, 2019  

Post a Comment

<< Home