The Hoju Saram

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

당근이지 and korean on request sentences.

One of my favourite a korean saying is 당근이지 {R:} tang-kern-ee-jee . This literally translates to “That is the carrot”. It real meaning is “Absolutely”or “You Bet”. This is due to the fact that “absolutely” and “carrot” in korean are very similar words.

I think this would also be a good idea for a t-shirt, but possibly in english, to make it even more confusing.

Sometime people I meet asked me to speak korean, because they have never heard the language before. My favourite sentence to say are:

세관신고 홀 것 없어요{R:} sae-gwan-shin-go hal-ko opsoyo {E:} I have nothing to declare.

지하출 지도 있어요 ? {R:} Jee ha chul jido is-so-yo ? {E:} Do you have a subway map?

Both of the sentences are fairly useless unless of course you don’t have something to declare at customs or do need a subway map, but I think they sound interesting to a non-korean speaking person.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home